Useful links to website resources on illustration, writing, and children's books. Also check out my FAQ page!
Getting started in children's books:
- The Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators, a good first stop for aspiring US based writers and illustrators.
- The British chapter's site is www.britishscbwi.org/index.htm and the Canadian site is www.scbwicanada.org.
- Another Canadian site to visit is the Canadian Society of Children's Authors, Illustrators and Performers.
- The French chapter of SCBWI has excellent events and workshops if you are ever in Paris!
- Aspiring Scotland-based writers can find lots of resources at the Scottish Book Trust, including information on mentorships, courses, funding and retreats.
- Editor Harold Underdown's excellent site is updated frequently and informative for writers and illustrators. It has extensive information on current trends in children's publishing at www.underdown.org
- This site features an advice page for those starting out: Publishing Central
- More tips and links are on Hawaiian illustrator Tammy Yee's website
- Australia based author/illustrator Colin Thompson's site has lots of information about how he got started and how he works.
- Illustrator Theresa Brandon's Drawing Board for Illustrators site is a good site for beginners.
- An excellent source of further links can be found at about.com and Eleanor's Books.
- One of my favourite sites is The Virtual Sharyn November. It not only has a nice set of links to publishers but also has a personal, conversational presence and a great sense of humour.
- Wordpool and WriteWords have information about UK publishers.
- Those specifically interested in children's picture books will enjoy www.picture-book.com.
websites for writers include:
Advice on becoming an illustrator:
- Some of the best advice comes directly from artists on their blogs, video and podcast channels. I especially like Lisa Congdon's site. Monica Lee from Smart Creative Women hosts a variety of interviews with artists, reps, buyers and art directors. Artists' representative Lilla Rogers offers some free resources on her Make Art that Sells e-course. There is an astonishing amount of information online!
Children's book trade fairs and festivals:
Galleries of original children's book art:
Professional organizations for illustrators worldwide:
A good collection of worldwide illustrators' work is at Illustration Mundo.
- Association of Illustrators of Quebec
- Island Illustrators Society
- Canadian Association of Photographers & Illustrators in Communications (CAPIC)
Writers and Artists Retreats:
Places to recharge and be inspired in your work!
- Anam Cara (Gaelic for "soul friend") is located on the ruggedly beautiful Beara peninsula in southwest Ireland.
- The Creative Retreat, on the Moray coast of northeast Scotland has several well-equipped houses with studios to rent.
- The Arvon Foundation hosts weeklong writing workshops in four stunning locations around the UK.